Friday 20 September 2013

What is the Meaning of Photographic Evidence if You Can Change an Image Digitally?

    Photographic evidence doesn't mean too much nowadays, since any evidence can be changed or altered.  Even an amateur such as myself can put people into places they weren't and change the colours of objects.  How can we tell if photographs are real or photoshopped?  It can be tough.  If the police had a photo of my car at a crime scene, and accused me of a crime I didn't commit, I would show them how easy it is to alter photos.  That might not prove my innocence completely, but it would be a start, and it might require them to collect more evidence.

    If any viewers have opinions, feel free to comment.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to see by eye that the photo has been altered, but what about the data file that the computer uses to display the image? Does altering an image leave obvious changes to the data file that could be detected by looking at the underlying code?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that a file saved as a jpeg just tells the computer what colour pixels to put where, so if the original was deleted, there would be no obvious changes. Maybe this would work for some file formats, though.

      Delete